Crossings Camp numbers are in!

Facebook Twitter Email

E-mails. A necessary means of communication and an incredibly time-consuming task for most ministers. Maybe even drudgery.

Buried in the inbox this morning, without bells, whistles, or even that annoying little red exclamation point marking an “urgent message,” was the following report from David Melber, president of Crossings Ministries:

2010                       2011

Total Campers                   8,699                     9,444

Salvation Decisions          478                         583

Call to Ministry                  490                         593

Missions Offering            $105,946              $108,692

By percentage our greatest growth rate is in salvation decisions.

Registrations each respective year: August 3, 2010 – 7,168, at the close of today August 1, we will pass 9,000 registered for 2012.

Thanks for your support.

David Melber, President of Crossings Ministries

In typical Melber fashion, just the facts. Excuse me, President Melber, while I take a moment to celebrate the incredible ministry you and your staff are doing here in Kentucky.

That was 583 teens professing a commitment of their lives to Christ, 593 teens indicating they are ready to join God on mission, and a six figure missions offering from what was supposed to be Coke and Popsicle money!!!

I know, I know, not every teenager who makes a commitment at camp follows through. And not every teen who says they are going into the ministry ends up serving as a pastor or missionary.

Does that mean we shouldn’t be excited, pumped, thrilled that God is stirring the hearts of hundreds of kids each year at our Kentucky Baptist camps? Of course we should be! While a few kids might have been following the lead of a friend or simply trying to process their first spiritual experience ever, most surely were following the leading of the Holy Spirit and are making genuine commitments to Christ. But even with those who found themselves doing something else, thank God for how He is using that friend or that first spiritual experience to begin to introduce Himself to a lost boy or girl who so desperately needs Christ.

To give perspective about what God is doing, consider that, in 2005, Crossings hosted 3,024 campers, there were 164 salvation commitments, 73 indicated a call to ministry, and the missions offering was $43,470. In six years, the number of campers and salvation commitments has increased more than 300 percent, while the number of those who are committing to ministry is up over 800 percent. WOW!!! And in “these hard economic times,” when “kids now days only think only of themselves,” those kids’ missions offering has increased by more than 200 percent. WOWEE!!!

And let me add, my son’s best friend professed salvation at Crossings this summer. PRAISE THE LORD!!!

Keep up the good work President Melber! And keep up the good work Kentucky Baptists because you made more than $364,000 available to Crossings through the Cooperative Program this year.

Anyone want to join me in offering kudos to the Crossings’ staff or sharing about the experience you or your youth group had at camp this summer? Hit the comments section.  As for me, I think I’ll check my inbox again and see what other news of the Kingdom might be hiding in there.

This entry was posted in All Posts, Camp Ministry, Cooperative Program, Missions, Partnership, Youth and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

14 Comments

1. Matthew McCraw
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

We had a fabulous time at Crossings. The Crossings staff is second to none. Thank you David Melber!

2. Jason Ketchum
    Posted August 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

We visited Crossings two years ago because a flyer found its way to my desk and I took a chance on a “lesser” known camp. I have not at any point regreted taking the chance. The guys and girls working staff are intentional about sharing Christ with young people and do it very well. Thank you David for doing it His way.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Jason, from the numbers, looks like the word is getting out on Crossings. And you are correct, the staff members are terrific! Hope David is still planning for growth…

3. Posted August 3, 2011 at 12:57 am | Permalink

Thanks for that awesome post, Bro. Paul! My church has taken a group to Crossings since its first year. It truly is the best camp in the world. God has His hand on Crossings in a special way. We had 5 middle schoolers that came to camp lost, but all went home FOUND! I praise God for the changed lives through Crossings. Thanks, brotber, for being an encourager of this ministry, and we are praying for you as you fulfill your new calling as the servant leader of the KBC.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Great to hear from you Bill! To quote your friend and my wife, Michelle, “Never been to a better camp!” We rejoice with you in the salvations! Thanks for prayers!

4. Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

We are still seeing the harvest from last year’s “beyond effect.” I am thrilled to celebrate with the angels over the decisions made for the sake of our Lord’s kingdom and excited to see the outcome of the call to ministry work…I hope the church is ready to support, encourage, mentor and hold accountable those students who perceived the Spirit’s call.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

First Mt. Washington was also impacted this past year by The Beyond Effect. Great to see young people begin to understand their place in Kingdom work! Thanks Robert.

5. Posted August 3, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Here’s just a little additional information from David Melber about how the campers’ mission offering is being used:

“Our funding is going two directions this year. We have actually committed and will be sending $60,000 for a orphan project in Bangalore India that is through the International Missions Board… $120,000 will be sent through the Baptist Haiti mission for a camp we are starting in Haiti. Overall we have committed $180,000 that will be covered in part by offerings and in part through our camp operation.

“Going forward our plans will be to support both of these projects with a majority of our resources going to Haiti. We have three weeks of Crossings in Haiti next year and our plan will be to help operate the camp there on a year round basis.”

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that additional info Robert. Worthy Kingdom causes! I thank God for His provision for these ministries.

• Posted August 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

My wife, Michelle, says she is hoping to help in the Haiti camp.

6. Posted August 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Any camp Pastor Paul Chitwood is a believer in, I’m a believer in! The staff at Crossings, top to bottom, are godly, kingdom-minded people. Incredible news!

• Posted August 5, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Josh, thanks for your vote of confidence! I was pleased to hear that you will be one of the camp pastors next year. We will pray for your ministry to the teens, as we pray for your ministry at The Bridge. Give our love to Jana!

• Posted August 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Done. Miss your leadership in my life, Pastor Paul.