Gay Marriage Coming to Kentucky?

Facebook Twitter Email

The news that District Judge John G. Heyburn usurped the will of Kentucky voters today is tragic and disappointing. As Heyburn declares that the Commonwealth must recognize gay marriages performed in other states, the Constitution of Kentucky is being undermined. This decision moves us down the slippery slope toward launching Kentucky into moral chaos and depriving children of their innate need of both a father and a mother. I pray the appeals process will honor the Commonwealth’s constitution and protect her children.

This entry was posted in Culture, Gay Marriage, Public Affairs. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

27 Comments

1. Megan
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

“depriving children of their innate need of both a father and a mother.”
    seriously?? if you’re going to make a case, at least try a little harder.

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Yes, I believe children need a father and a mother.

• Jon
        Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

My dad died and my mom raised all 5 children. I’d love to hear her response to your assertion that all children ‘need’ a father and mother. My guess is that you wouldn’t be capable of a convincing argument with her, even at age 95. You insult all parents, single, gay and otherwise who have and continue to do a great job raising children.

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I, too, was raised by a single parent. That did not take away my need for a father and a mother. I would not want to insult a father by telling him that his only value to his child is his sperm cell or insult a mother by telling her that her only value to her child is her egg and womb. I stand by my statement. Children need a father and a mother.

• Rob Mattheu
            Posted February 12, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Kids need loving parents. My niece and her wife, and any number of gay friends would be great parents. It’s sad that you don’t recognize that.

2. Luke Hall
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Tragic and disappointing if you prefer living in a country or a state where the rule of law is not followed. Lest you forget your baptist forefathers left a country in search of freedom from a state power that would have persecuted baptist for their beliefs. The constitution which you decry and whose judicial decisions you label tragic was your forefathers doing. Freedom of religious exercise and individual liberties cannot be purchased al a cart from our founding document we much take it all. And the result is a thriving country where All are respected. Even baptist are respected and tolerated under our constitution.

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Not sure what you mean by “The constitution which you decry.” I affirm the constitution of my state and nation.

• Luke hall
        Posted February 12, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

You say you affirm it yet when a judge and multiple judges and our highest court adhere to it and the jurisprudence which interprets and shapes it.-That you decry. What is truly tragic is the Road that baptist have walked down going away from baptist roots in autonomy of a believer and separation of church and state. My grandfather was a graduate of southern and the executive director of the southern baptist convention for a state for 25 years and was highly active in leadership committees with the convention and southern Until his death . additionally me and my family were kicked out of our southern baptist church because we suggested that women should be considered deacons. What is truly tragic is that the southern baptist convention has turned into an institution that no longer values individual thought and personhood but rather feels compelled to dictate what it thinks is right. Just as our founding fathers would roll over in their grave at the arguments that you make wanting more of a theocracy where religious ideas of marriage are imposed on a secular country. The founding fathers of your baptist faith would be disgraced by how the southern baptist convention has trampled on the ideals that used to set baptist apart.

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

The US constitution does not mention marriage. Kentucky’s constitution states, “Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Kentucky. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized.” I affirm our constitution. I also affirm the historic Baptist statements of faith written by my Baptist forefathers.

• Eric
            Posted February 13, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I’m curious. Do you think the Kentucky constitution was undermined by the SCOTUS decision in Loving vs. VA in 1967, which ruled that state laws prohibiting interracial marriages violate the US constitution?

• Posted February 13, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

No. Race and sexual sin are unrelated.

• Eric
            Posted February 13, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

But I didn’t ask about sin. I asked whether the legal process worked or was undermined when SCOTUS decided Loving vs. VA.

If, as you seem to agree, it wasn’t undermined in 1967, then on what basis can you maintain that it has been undermined in 2014?

I get you think Judge Heyburn made the wrong moral decision, but your post says that you think he also made an incorrect legal decision too.

• Posted February 14, 2014 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Eric. As I stated, race and sexual sin are unrelated. To your question, subjecting Kentucky to the misguided legal decisions in other states doesn’t work. Where does it stop? Legalize prostitution because of Las Vegas? Legalized marijuana because of Colorado? Has SCOTUS ever got it wrong? The deaths of 55,000,000 American children since Roe vs. Wade is proof of that.

3. Gerald
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

…because having no parents at all is better than having one single gay person or a gay couple raise them (that was sarcasm for those of you that agree with this tragic and disappointing comment by Chitwood). By the way we call it “marriage” not “gay marriage.”

4. Scott Carrico
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Mr. Chitwood,

I guess your perception of this “launching outle state into moral chaos” is fair to you. However, I certainly think that your judgmental, self righteousness and disregard for your fellow man and the children that he provides for is far more immorally chaotic. Take a long hard look at yourself and your judgmental ways and then decide who is making immoral choices.

5. Billie Manning
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Amen Dr. Chitwood. I am burdened and pray often about this matter. I cannot believe the number of protestant churches that have embraced this ungodly concept. I did not realize this moral decay would seep into KY courtrooms. I also pray that the direction of this nation will change in 2016. God Bless you. Both my father and brother (Burney and Burney) went to Clear Creek.

6. Meredith
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Separation of church and state. Amen. (Thank you Judge Heyburn!)

7. Cheryl Norris
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Brother Paul,
    I listened in disbelief to Terry Meiners vile words this afternoon on my way home from work in regard to the statement you made about the undermining of Kentucky’s Constitution through the Federal judges ruling today. I just wanted you to know that I responded to what he said over the airwaves about you on his Facebook page because I know what kind of man you are, and I know your conviction for the word of God. My family and I have been blessed by your ministry, and you will be in our prayers as you continue to lead us in the days ahead. God Bless You

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you Cheryl. You are kind. Rare have been our opportunities in America to experience what Jesus spoke of in Matthew 5:11-12 but God is allowing this cultural shift. We trust in His providence and will continue to espouse biblical values in our society whether they are embraced or rejected.

8. Curtis Brock
    Posted February 12, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Paul: Thanks for your stand against the ever so subtle schemes of the devil against the moral values of our society. As we all know time is slowly bringing more and more things that the world is trying to force down the throats of many unsuspecting people. I am thankful that God Word is true and to the point. Thanks again Paul for leading Kentucky Baptist to fulfilling the call given to us as followers of Jesus!

9. Donna Stout
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Dear Bro. Paul,
    I did not hear the said comments today by Terry Meiners as I wrote him off so long ago over some similar
    very irritating comments he made. If you disagree with someone, at least have the common kindness to be honest and straight forward in what you are talking about and DO NOT twist the other persons opinions and what was said. Unfortunately, Mr. Miners seems to have a problem doing that. Thank you for taking a stand for the moral issues of today and standing for the Bible and its teachings. We appreciate you and the job you are doing. Its never easy when you take a stand on such a controversial issue but Kenny and I say thanks.

10. Pat Lawson
    Posted February 13, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

I am angry! We the people believe and know that marriage was ordained to have to be for one man and one woman. These “Judges” are playing god with our rights and voted on. Who is giving them this right to decide for KY ? If I am angry I think Our God is angry!!

11. Aaron
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Dr. Chitwood,
    I praise God that we have you as a leader in Kentucky. I pity the commenters on here that attack you as a person and then inconsistently assert Christians are “judgmental”. You are not the first to face such tactics (John 15:18). Thank you for speaking the truth in love!